A Pie to the Face
Pi Day — March 14, 2018
Every Pi Day, the RPi administration fervently campaigns for your donations despite not providing the full picture of the current state of the Institute. Many concerning incidents have occurred at RPi within the past year, at times thrusting our university into the national spotlight.
- Board of Trustees’ resolution effectively nullifies the Union Constitution and officially shifts control of the historically student-run Rensselaer Union to the Jackson Administration.
- The administration files judicial action against students who had distributed literature regarding our movement.
- The campus is fenced off to students in an attempt to keep them from potential alumni donors during Reunion & Homecoming during the Capital Campaign Launch.
- Judicial action is filed against student participants of a peaceful demonstration in support of a student-run Union.
- Institute Advancement sends an insulting email to all RPi alumni moments after their failed attempt to coerce the RAA president to do so.
- Public Safety officers prohibit students standing on a public sidewalk from distributing literature advertising the word “Renew,” citing “eminent domain.”
- Students are only involved in the search and hiring for a new Director of the Rensselaer Union in the final stages and alarmingly, the RPi administration provides one of the candidates with interview questions in advance of the interview, then deny this despite multiple eyewitnesses.
How You Can Help
- Withhold donations to RPi until these major issues are resolved.
- Learn more about RPi’s state of governance, finances, and academics, and sign Renew Rensselaer's platform.
- Share what you’ve learned with your fellow RPi alumni.
- Let RPi know of your decision to withold donations, either directly or on social media using #RPi314 and #RPI.
- If you still want to give, do so in ways that avoid the Jackson Administration’s surcharge, such as donating physical gifts directly to Union clubs (we recommend contacting the club for information).
For More Information
Renew Rensselaer: We strongly urge you to visit this site, which was started by a group of dedicated RPi alumni, to learn more about the past and current state of finances, academics, and governance at RPi.
Gift Surcharge: This document details the “administrative surcharge” that is assessed for each gift; most donations to clubs, departments, and athletics fall under “Fund Type H2 – Non-Research Gifts” and are therefore assessed at 10%.
Please be sure to check out the rest of our website, and follow us on social media—we can be found on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter via the respective icons at the bottom of the page!
*A 10 percent surcharge is withheld from most gifts. For many others, the RPi administration takes an even larger cut (see Gift Surcharge Implementation Details for a complete breakdown).
Support the Cause
Want to support our movement? By donating to Save the Union, your generosity will aid us in many ways, particularly in creating and distributing informational materials to continue educating the RPi community about what’s really happening on campus.